TRANQUILITY IS A SELF MANAGED SHARE BOAT

At 58 feet length, TQ (as we call her) is a steel hull narrow boat built by Colecraft and fitted out by Elton Moss Boatbuilders. Currently based at Aqueduct Marina in Cheshire we're able to cruise some of the most popular waterways in Britain. The Shropshire Union, The Trent and Mersey, The Llangollen Canal, The Four Counties Ring and Cheshire Ring and more.

Our friendly Syndicate decided to go down the Self Management route on 1st March 2012 and so far it has been very successful. Please visit the other pages in this blog to see the new Web Site and if shares are available for sale. (There'll not be many).


ABOUT COPYRIGHT.
I am having to place a watermark on the blog content as someone on Facebook is stealing photos and claiming them as their own. I wouldn't mind if they asked first and attributed it to my blog. If it continues I will name and shame them. I hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment.

All content is Copyright N. B. Tranquility © 2008 - 2019

Tuesday 4 October 2011

You wouldn't believe this...

Oh! yes we would!

We left Billing Aquadrome at 08:00hrs this morning after dropping our mooring fees through the letterbox in the reception. Then made our way toward the exit which is diagonally across the lake, first by reversing away from our mooring, then once far enough away from the other boats, engage forward gear and 1/3 throttle and rotated TQ around to face the exit. It's a bit tight here, the angle is quite acute and there is the road bridge to contend with. All my concentration is required to get TQ heading in the right direction.

The Clubhouse at Billing Aquadrome


Reversing away from our mooring on the far left

Our first lock is Billing Lock, and it's just around the corner. Not much in the way of weed today which is a great help. At Weston Favell Lock it all happened, or didn't would be more correct. Once in the lock I needed to select reverse to help position TQ along side the lock wall. Reverse gear engaged OK, but there was no throttle response. None whatsoever. The throttle cable had broken. We managed to get TQ through the lock and moor up on the lock landing where I went to work to investigate exactly what was wrong and if there was anything I could do to repair it. No such luck this time and a phone call to Ken meant a two hour journey for him from Sandbach to find us and do a twenty minute job. While he was on his way I removed the old cable and made ready for fitting the new one. If we'd had a spare on board I could have done it all myself and saved a call out. Hey - ho!


The broken throttle cable.
The photo shows the mechanism on the back of the control lever. The part in my left hand had the cable crimped into it. You can't "uncrimp" it and re crimp a shorter length, a new cable is required.

Here's some scenes from today at Weston Favell Lock


There's nothing like having a good scratch

"So tell me, why the long face?"


"'ere, your bowthruster needs more horsepower"

 <>
I hope you don't mind, I'm having a lunch break.
 
More tomorrow.

No comments: