TRANQUILITY IS A SELF MANAGED SHARE BOAT

At 58 feet length, TQ (as we call her) is a steel hull narrow boat built by Colecraft and fitted out by Elton Moss Boatbuilders. Currently based at Aqueduct Marina in Cheshire we're able to cruise some of the most popular waterways in Britain. The Shropshire Union, The Trent and Mersey, The Llangollen Canal, The Four Counties Ring and Cheshire Ring and more.

Our friendly Syndicate decided to go down the Self Management route on 1st March 2012 and so far it has been very successful. Please visit the other pages in this blog to see the new Web Site and if shares are available for sale. (There'll not be many).


ABOUT COPYRIGHT.
I am having to place a watermark on the blog content as someone on Facebook is stealing photos and claiming them as their own. I wouldn't mind if they asked first and attributed it to my blog. If it continues I will name and shame them. I hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment.

All content is Copyright N. B. Tranquility © 2008 - 2019

Saturday 24 December 2011

A posh accessory

Some while ago it was requested that a ring be placed in the seating area on the inside wall of the semi-trad stern on Tranquility. This is for the dog owners of the syndicate to tie their best friend to and keep them under control. A galvanised steel item was purchased and fitted, and it looked awful, it was the sort of thing that would be at home on a farm for tying your prize bull to. At the AGM earlier this year it was asked if a brass one could be located and fitted, but this option had been sought in the past and procurement of such an item had drawn a blank. I waited until the conversation came to a critical point and volunteered (what was I thinking?) just before the fingers started pointing, to make one and nearly got my hands bitten off. Everyone in the syndicate knows I'm an engineer, so if I didn't volunteer I would have been volunteered. I don't mind really, if anyone wants something made I'll try my best to oblige.

Here's a pictorial progress report:-


First, mill two sides square. Re clamp, then mill the other two sides
square and to size using a 10mm slot drill.
 
Mill a 1/8" chamfer all round. Done with a 45 degree
countersink/chamfer tool seen in the top of the photo.

Stage one completed.

Stage two is drill and countersink four holes to suit No.2 BA screws,and
then drill and reamer two holes 1/4" diameter to accept the brass loop.
 The next bit is a little more complicated. I need to make some tools on my lathe to bend the loop and the ring. This will consist of three rollers with a 1/8" radiused groove to accept the 1/4" brass rod. These tools are then set up on the milling machine and I'll use it as a press to bend the brass rod.


Three rollers set up to produce a curve in the brass rod.


A dry fit of the loop in the base plate.


Heating it up to apply some silver solder.


After soldering the dag ends are cut off ready to be machined flush.
 Well that's it for today, I'll finish it after Christmas. Which just leaves me to say have a really great Christmas and lets all look forward to some wonderful cruising in the coming season.

No comments: